Request for Proposals
Interdisciplinary Pilot Study Funding on Infectious Disease Dynamics
The UCI Infectious Disease Science Initiative (IDSI) aims to establish UCI as a global leader in research and education in infectious disease dynamics. The Initiative will drive the discovery of new knowledge into how infectious diseases emerge and spread in human populations. This goal will be achieved by cultivating and strengthening partnerships across multiple areas of expertise on the UCI campus.
As part of IDSI's mission to stimulate new interdisciplinary research projects of infectious disease dynamics, we are pleased to announce a call for pilot project proposals. Awards will provide up to $15,000 support to interdisciplinary research teams. Interdisciplinary proposals with a clear plan to generate preliminary data to support external funding applications will be prioritized. Applications are due by 5 p.m. on January 11, 2021.
UCI students, postdoctoral researchers, research staff, and faculty are eligible to submit a proposal. However, every proposal must identify a UCI faculty member that is overseeing the project.
Priority will be given to:
· Projects involving investigation of within-host or between-host dynamics, population health, and epidemiological studies
· Multidisciplinary projects involving social, political, and environmental determinants of infectious diseases
· Studies involving mathematical modeling, statistical modeling, data science, and/or analysis of existing data
· Projects involving investigators from multiple departments or schools
· Projects led by early stage faculty (i.e. Assistant Professor rank)
· Projects that can be completed in one year
· Projects with high likelihood of leading to external funding
Use of Funds
Funds may be used for faculty and staff salaries, for the support of postdoctoral and graduate students, tuition remission, and for equipment and supplies.
Funds may not be used to pay for travel unless they are a necessary part of the research project. Funds may not be used for conference attendance.
The proposals will be selected by an ad hoc review committee in consultation with the Faculty Advisory Board of the UCI IDSI. Awards will be announced in February 2021.
For more information, see the full submission procedures.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 11, 2021 at 5 p.m. PST.
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out before submission to discuss project needs. Please email email@example.com or call 949-576-8675 to discuss your ideas.